[DML] DeLorean Handling Setups

Hi List.

Great thread!

Haven't really heard a lot about setups, handling, and driving
technique till this came up.

Have had the P.J. Grady lowering/suspension package and Don Steger's
adjustable lower control arms on my PDC-equipped DMC since June now,
and am just getting it wrung out.

The Grady setup is indeed a bit softer in the ride dept. than stock,
though for the last twenty years the tight factory ride and feel has
been a highlight.  With the lowered package and the adjustable shocks
at factory pressure, the car grips a bit better on uneven surfaces,
but at the price of increased body motion.  (Must admit I miss the
old ride.)  Tearing around just takes a bit more finesse and planning
than with the old legs, in return for a being a bit more forgiving
when pushed on bumpy corners.

Having also added an Island Twin Turbo to the mix, I find the car
much more fun to balance on the throttle in the corners.  Planting
the rear wheels with the power and pushing or drifting to the exit is
terrific to say the least, though I always leave plenty of room to
turn out of the corner if the rear end protests.  (BTW, I agree that
lifting at that point would likely induce rotational excursions with
palpitations and shortness of breath.)

Haven't had the nerve to try agressive trail braking into a corner or
blasting a turn that tightens up on the way through. (like First
Curve at Suzuka)  Anybody got a good technique?  Will have to do a
Sunday at the track to play around with that as I would expect to
exit backwards ocassionally.

On that note, lifting to rotate the car on entry (The Porsche
technique) sounds like a good way to play sprint car/disk furrow if
you're not choosy about the locale, so I'll save that for the track
too.

All that said, some of you guys have alluded to modified or custom
setups.  What hardware are you running specifically, and what has it
done for you?  I'd love to see details like gas pressures, spring
choices, ride control, brake specs, and so on.

As for me, I'm still digesting all the changes to The Big D, and
expect to do little more than play with shock and tire pressures at
the track next spring.  If I discover anything newsworthy I'll post
the useful and entertaining parts.  Suffice it to say that plumbing
the depths of the existing package is way enough fun for now.

Happy and Safe Driving,

--Ray
10693 and Counting.