Re: [DML] Re: DeLorean Handling

The Porsche issue of the similar layout to the DeLorean has always made me
curious and after a bit of research and help from a friend who is well
connected to the marque I found the following results.

The brand new Porsche 997 (has gone back to the round tail lamps again) has
the weight distribution of 63% at the rear and 37% at the front.  That's
exactly the same as the DeLorean.
The previous model, the 996 (Boxster headlamps) had 60% - 40% but did not
handle as well or involve the driver like the new model.  Suspension
technology is certainly a key factor.

The crucial element is the centre of gravity.  The Porsche has a flat six
and therefore a lower centre of gravity which obviously has a dramatic
effect on the handling.  Porsche has even considered the little things like
the car battery which is mounted centrally in the luggage compartment at the
front.

Having ridden in the new 911 (997) recently I found as the passenger I was
having the fun at 120mph plus in conditions where 90mph in the DeLorean
would feel just as engaging.

I also won a track day where I drove the Ferrari 360 Spyder, Noble M12 GTO
(twin turbo), Mercedes SL55 AMG, Lotus Exige and Dodge Viper RT/10.  The
Ferrari was a substitute for the Diablo SV which had a broken gearbox.  Sure
the explosive acceleration of some of the cars was electrifying, but the
quirkiness of my 23 year old DeLorean is still the car for me.  The Delorean
feels like a big, luxurious go kart, I love it!!!

I have the euro-spec performance set-up on my car and on a greasy surface I
can easily fish tale it from rest if desired.  So much so once that the rear
near side tail light fell out.  Another DeLorean behind me soon let me know.
That proved that you need 4 plus screws to maintain a fit.... that same unit
is now attached with the complete set of black stainless steel screws from
PJ Grady ....

Just my 2 pence

Chris H.
vin 5255