RE: [DML] Re: Symptoms of bad TA bolts

Actually Rich, when you weren't looking I did try a MAPP torch to try to
free it. I made a makeshift heat shield from layers of thin sheet metal to
protect the surrounding area and tried heating the bolt in an attempt to
break the bond between the bolt and the trailing arm. I managed to get the
bolt dull red but I ended the whole attempt as soon as I melted the heat
shield!  The bolt still did not come free at that point. I also put a big
breaker bar with a pipe over the handle and couldn't get it to turn. I did
manage to have the socket slip off the bolt and have the handle of the
breaker bar hit me in the forehead, though! The only thing that worked was
sawing the bolt off and replacing both the bolt AND th trailing arm. And
remember that there was absolutely *no* externally visible sign of any
corrosion!

BTW, I still have that trailing arm with the remanant of that bolt stuck
firmly in place. (As Rich said, the big press was humbled by the little
bolt.) I may soak it in penetrant for a year or two then try again. ;)

On the other side of the car the bolt slipped out with very little effort
required. I guess you MAY get it out without a lift, or you MAY run into the
kind of problems we did.

My simple advice to every owner would be to just spend the money and the
time and replace the bolts. That way you don't have to wonder if they're
bent, corroded, cracked, safe, or whatever. And with Toby TABs further
corrosion (of the bolt, anyway) is not a concern. Its such a critical part
that you don't want to cheap out on the time/money to know that you're safe.
The cost is less than a single decent tire, and you wouldn't run around on
bald tires with cords sticking out of them now would you?!?! ;)

-Joe Kuchan