Re: [DML] Painting Fibreglass

The two main secrets to painting vertually anything is to ensure that the surface to be painted has all contaminants removed.  The second is to ensure that the surface to be painted have the proper surface finish on it (sanded).  Painting the engine compartment will require a lot of attention to be paid to cleaning.  Any oil, grease, silicone, etc. ("bad guys") that exists must be removed or the paint might flake off or worse.

In the application to fiberglass, there is an additional fear.  These bad guys can be beneath the surface and would require more than a wipe off to completely remove.  If I were going to paint this area of the car, I would also like to spend some additional time smoothing the surface to be painted.  This way, the random fibers that are on our glass could be hidden to show a more attractive finish.

As far as types of paint, the best type to use would be a two part type for the best adherance.  However, there are many "spray can" paints that can produce a great finish too.  Just make sure that you use the proper types per the manufacturer's suggestions as some types do not adhere to the glass as well as others and there are adherance promoter type of pre paint products that you might also look into using.

Sean Howley
VIN#2345