[DML] Re: PDC's Redesigned Trailing Arm Attachment

[DML] Re: PDC's Redesigned Trailing Arm Attachment

Bill and List - Yes, I have studied the PDC design, and it is much
more robust, as you suggest.  The key with his design is to load up
the bolt in double shear, which means that both ends are supported,
and the load is applied in the middle.  This essentially doubles the
amount of load that can be carried for a given amount of bending
stress.  Or, put another way, for a given load, it cuts the bending
stresses in half.  (Note to you purists out there - the numbers
actually vary a little from that, but I'm talking in round figures
here) There are a couple of design details that I would do a little
differently that Pearce, based on my experience with high-
performance jet aircraft structural design, but his configuration is
much better than the stock DeLorean.  Tell me ... what is the
perceived demand for a retrofit kit to convert the average DeLorean
to a similar more robust design, without changing the entire frame?
This can be done, but it would be quite a bit more expensive than
simply replacing the bolts.  That was the main reason that I went
that way ... to make some kind of solution practical to the typical
DeLorean owner.  I would be interested in getting some feedback on
that question.  Keep the shiny side up!

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
> Have you studied Bryan Pearce's redesigned trailing arm attachment
> (ball joint)? Infinitely superior to the Lotus design. And it's so
> simple and inexpensive that one has to wonder what Lotus was
thinking of with stationary lateral bolts. They could have saved us
all a lot of trouble by engineering the trailing arms properly to
begin with.