[DML] More BO (or BS) on the Logo Hoho

After a few months of being proccupied with "romance" (OK, guys & gals,
there is more to life than cars), I have been revisiting the site the
past few days and cannot resist commenting on the copyright topic.

First, I assume John D. did copywright the logo, etc. Has anyone
researched this to be sure this is factual?  Surprisingly, this step
does fall thru the cracks and would not be the only one for the
DeLorean corporation (like, "why the little windows?")

Second, in the bankrupcy, who really ended up with copy rights?   Why
in the heck would John D. retain any asset through the bankrupcy?
(remember the car Delorean gave to Johnny Carson being reposessed
because he (Delorean) not transfer title?)   I do not now of any other
case where a company or the owner of the company retained title to an
asset while having tens or hundreds of millions of dollars of debt.
Was there a very sympathetic bankrupcy judge?  Is this enforceable?

Third, was this copyright retained or renewed in accordance with US
law?  If not, the right may not be valid.

If all of the above tests are met and DMCH had the business forsight to
do what is necessary to clearly retain the copy rights, more power to
them.  The world is filled with those who say, "could of ..., should of
..." and then there are those who take the steps, take the risk, and
make the investment to be successful.  We may not like it that the logo
of a bankrupt company is being limited or being used for profitable
purposes, but that may be their legal right.

Conversely, if this right is "assumed"by DMCH and not legally required,
regardless of intention, then it's time to do the right thing, act with
integrity, and acknowledge this fact.  I suspect most that have done
business with DMCH feel they have integrity (which includes their to
their right to make a profit).  This does not mean they cannot make a
mistake.  Let's give them an opportunity to say "oops."

That said, what makes the most sense with regards to copyright issues?
Fact is, John D and his company left a lot of companies and individuals
holding the bag for a lot of cash.  The previous owner of my car paid
$89,000 for stock which a few months later was worth "0", one of
thousands that experienced financial losses of varying degrees.  Most
are probably familiar with the oustanding turbo manfacturer that made
major investments on a false DeLorean promise only go down the tubes as
a result of this misplaced trust.   With this in mind, perhaps no one
should benefit from a logo that is symbolic of so many deceptions that
overshadowed and to this day overshadow the accomplishments of the car.
 With the many victims of John D and his management, perhaps the logo,
et. al., should stay in the public domain.

http://vote.yahoo.com