[DML] Re: 4X4s and hovercrafts

Ryan and others interested,

Most of my comments about the MG hovercraft episode have either
been posted here or posted on the Discovery Channel website.  I
will not re-state all my comments, but I will correct the errors
and re-post the link to my comments on the show at Discovery.com

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/monstergarage/pass/weissensel.html

The hovercraft used in the MG show was not a Scat, like the Scat
seen in BTTF 2 outside the Cafe 80's, it was a HoverTechnics
HoverStar, which happens to have a hover base almost identical
to the bottom outline of a Delorean, 7' wide by 14' long.

The hovercraft used for my Delorean Hover Conversion, as seen at
DCS 2002 in Memphis was a Neoteric brand hovercraft.

It's also interesting to note that the UK version of MG built a
"successful" car/hover conversion out of an old Lotus.  On that
show the hover expert did show up and did some pre-fabrication
work before the show in order to meet the deadline.  Thanks to
Chris in the UK for sending me a copy of that show to review.

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ryanpwright" <dmcnews_list@xxxx>
wrote:

> I have to weigh in on that hovercraft episode.
>
> First off, that Jesse guy is a punk, but I guess that's how they
> decided to pull in viewers. So, whatever. My real point is that
clown
> doesn't know a thing about hovercraft. The first attempt with
putting
> the panels on that Scat (that's the brand of the hovercraft, FYI)
was
> real iffy already. Those things only lift a few hundred pounds.
>
> When he came out and whined about the "lame" design, demanding the
> DeLorean itself be turned into a hovercraft, I immediately knew it
> wouldn't work. The car is way too heavy. You'd be hard pressed to
lift
> that sucker with it's own engine, let alone drive it around on a
less
> than firm surface. Doing it with the Scat's engine was simply
impossible.

> I'm no hovercraft expert, but I know enough; I'm building an 8
> passenger 20 foot Sevtec Explorer hovercraft in my garage. The
> completed craft will weigh about 1200lbs, engine included. It will
> have a 1400lb payload and needs 80hp to operate conservatively.
This