[DML] Re: DeLorean Dignity

Well, the moderator was right. It was a post that managed to hit all
points possible, to ruffle everyones' feathers. :) But, I am going to
keep this in a positive light, and on the subject topic.

You're absolutely right about the PRV. It's reliable, and can be made
so with time and effort. And I'm going to back you that statement,
and the fact that it is indeed underpowered. But let me present to
you another point of view. One from a fellow DeLorean owner, whom
like yourself, I too am planning for an engine swap down the road.

The PRV is quite a unique engine in many ways. It has it's unique
quirks, combined with an unconventional fuel injection system, with
an emissions control device strapped onto it as an afterthought, and
you've got quite a challenge ahead of you. And that is the problem.
As you've already said, you had to have a mechanic do a bit of work
on your car, and naturally, you have concerns about what is going to
pop-up and hit you in the future. A quite valid concern.

However, I am going to reccomend that you not proceed with an engine
swap with your car. Based upon what you've written, I don't think
that you're ready yet for that challenge. If you cannot replace a
series of heater hoses on your own, there is no way you're gonna be
able to swap an entire motor out. I'm not saying this as a slam
against you. But you really need more time under the hood (or bonnet,
or engine cover, depending on your definition :p) before you attempt
any radical modifications, let alone fabrications. Yeah, I know that
you've got a willing mechanic to help you out. And that's fine, but
only to a point. You have got to build up the self confidence, and
have some decent skills in your arsenal. And you've got to go in with
the attitude that you alone must complete this job, with minimal
outsourcing of labor for things you can't complete, because you lack
the TOOLS, and not the ABILITY to complete. Such as fabrication, etc.
You absolutely must become more self-reliant in car repair, before
you attempt

Now, don't take this post the wrong way. My intent here is not to
discourage you, but rather to encourage you. Get more working
experience with engines in, before you try anything of this
magnitude. Rise to the challenge of working on your motor first.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"
Intercooled twin turbo V8...Someday.