Re: [DML] DeLorean Dignity

Hey....go for it. My only caution is that if you live in CA do your emissions law research first. I got my twin turbo because the owner found that even though the car met all the emissions standards CA wouldn't license it because he had "altered the approved exhaust system". No, I don't live in CA.

Chris

secret_jedi_guy <secret_jedi_guy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Moderator Note: Obviously this post will insult hundreds of people on the DML. Please keep in mind that this anonymous person is simply expressing an opinion. On the DML we do allow our subscribers to express opinions, and past experience has shown that no hot-tempered response or witty retort will change his/her mind. -Mike Substelny DML moderator of the week]

Look I didn't mean to "offend the faith of the purists." When I got
the car I knew exactly what I was getting. What I didn't expect was
about $389 for a shop job to replace six heater hoses. The problem
was the ENGINE and the LOCATION of the hoses, he also said that any
other fixes would cost the same or more because of the awkward
design. In asking for info about an engine swap, I was not looking
for a slugfest about how I will devalue the car, and how I must not
have known what kind of car it was, or what I was getting. I am not
planning on selling it. The PRV is FRENCH. The FRENCH haven't
produced U.S. emmissions legal vehicles in 25 years. That is before
the DeLorean was built and I have all of the previous owner's
service records that show how much of a pain it was to get it to
pass it's smog check this year. In dumping the PRV, I can get
something AMERICAN that I can do most of the work on myself.

On another note, someone said that I should just spend $2000 dollars
on an old Camaro to run into the ground and "spare the DeLorean its
dignity." The fact is the DeLorean looks like a Lotus and has less
power than a VW Bug. A car like that has NO dignity. Now if you
really want to say I know nothing about the car you are mistaken.
It was intended to be a sports car to compete with the Corvette.
You can look that up. They went with the PRV because the cost went
up to produce them and yes the PRV was a reliable powerplant at the
time. Granted, with time, effort and money I could keep my current
PRV and have it be a reliable powerplant for another 100,000 miles
or I could swap it for a more powerful, emissions legal, American
engine and make the car what it WAS SUPPOSED TO BE. You should also
remember that this car would be NOTHING to ANYBODY except the very
first enthusiasts if Back to the Future was never made. It would
just be another piece of failed automotive history, and even in Back
to the Future they swapped the engine in 3 cars for a small block V8
in order to get an engine growl underneath the added jet sound.

In answer to another question of whether my other mechanic friend
would stay with me till the end. Yes, he was the one who was going
to help me perform the swap because has done it before with no
problems. I thought about turbos, but the fact is I would be stuck
with the PRV and a twin turbo taking up space in there making it
that much harder to work on.

Don't tell me I'm "bastardizing" it by changing the engine. I am
just taking an incomplete concept car and finishing it.

VIN: 1223