Re: [DML] Re: Chevy Engine swap

I think Darkstar nailed it.  I'd like to add some more comments to my
earlier post.  I didn't do the engine/tranny swap looking to sell the car.
Truth be told, I'll probably NEVER sell the car.  It was my first car at 15
(I'm now 33)  I did the swap so I could enjoy the car.   *MY* experience
with my DeLorean was horrible.  Always breaking down and it was always the
little things.  Thank God for the DML and people like
James/David/Toby/Darryl and countless others that help all us DeLorean
owners.  Now since the Chevy/Porsche swap....no problems (yet) and I've had
the engine in since 2000 and the tranny's been in about a year now.  To me
that's reliability.

Also, ANYONE who does an engine swap knows what they're putting in there;
you'd be nuts if you didn't (ex. mine's a 4.3 Chevy out of a '94 S-10 and a
915 tranny out of a 1972 Porsche 911)  If I need parts, I know what to ask
for.  I don't care about the value of the car, whether it is now worth more
or less isn't an issue.  The fact that I can now goto any show or any place
is the enjoyment.  I didn't have that with the stock setup.  Believe me,
that alone is worth the price of the swap to me.

Now, as far as upgrading the motor.  I challenge anyone with a stock
DeLorean motor/tranny to do an upgrade to a supercharger, twin turbo, any
big hp add-on's to have the reliability of a 'well done' engine swap.
Granted, if you spend the money(and it would be A LOT) you could probably
make the PRV have 1000 hp...but your forgetting the stock tranny.  There is
the weak link.  You see postings all the time about "how can I get more HP
from the PRV?" Unless you swap out the tranny with something, it just won't
hold up.  How much are you going to spend for an engine upgrade or tranny
upgrade (which I haven't found anyone in my experience that can make the DMC
tranny hold any serious HP)  The price of an engine/tranny upgrade will be
significant and (if you can do the work yourself) cost more than a swap out.
Can someone show me a DeLorean with the original modified engine and
transmission putting over 350 rwhp RELIABILY?   Even the guy who had the V8
350 engine in Memphis said he was going through stock tranny's.

As far as weight,  the V6 4.3 weights about the same as the PRV.  I haven't
noticed any changes in the handling of the car.   I'm not sure what the
LS1/LS6 weights, but considering they're all aluminum, probably not much
more so weight wasn't as big as a factor as I thought it would be and I even
have more clearence/working room on my setup.  Also, the modifications I did
are ALL reversible!  I could throw a stock DMC tranny/engine back in there
easily.  I used the stock motor mount locations, I used the stock wiring and
bought connectors from a used DeLorean to cut up.  The connectors plug into
the harness in the engine bay so all you'd have to do is unplug the modified
ones and plug in the stock ones.  The wiring was EXTREMELY easy.  All I had
to do was get the main engine wiring harness diagram of the 4.3 and find out
what was hot/constant and hook them up to the hot/constants the DeLorean
supplied.  It isn't an electrical nightmare at all.  The hardest part was
mounting the fuel pump, and getting the tach to work.  (The tach was REALLY
easy, but it took me some time to figure it out)

Duke