[DML] Re: Which year to purchase, 81 or 82

[DML] Re: Which year to purchase, 81 or 82

Gary -

You should get more than a few replies to this, but here's my take on it.

Model year is not as important (generally speaking, and I'll explain
later) as the QUALITY and QUANTITY of RECENT service history.

QUALITY means the parts that were used were the correct ones, and that
generally means proper NOS or reproduction parts. Ask for copies of
the receipts, as well. SOME but not all cross reference parts may be
acceptable. This is where it gets tricky.

QUANTITY means if the car was stored for a long period of time, did
the current owner simply replace the fuel pump, or did they do a
complete fuel tank service? Severe fuel system contamination might
also mean that the injectors and fuel distributor require attention.
You don't want that on YOUR list of things to do (and pay for).

RECENT means within the last year or so, as a general rule. If someone
did a fuel tank service a year ago, but has now let the car sit since
that time, odds are at least SOME of the work done will need re-doing.

Mileage is another thing to think about. Rare is the DeLorean that has
as few miles on it as the odometer would have you believe. Low mileage
DeLoreans are not that rare, and in some cases a DeLorean with 60,000
miles may be a better car than one with 6,000 miles on it. Again,
that's where the quantity and quality of the recent service history is
important.

These are just examples and I could go on and on about the things we
see here on any one of the 30-40 cars that are here at any given time
for service or restoration.

In the past six months or so, we've sold about a dozen DeLoreans to
local Texas owners and shipped two to the United Kingdom.

http://www.delorean.com/sales.asp

The cars that we sell have a documented history of quality, recent
service and their prices reflect that. Other people see the prices we
are getting for the cars and conclude that their cars are worth the
same. That is not always the case.

In regards to the model year, while there are literally HUNDREDS of
minor differences between an early 1981 and a late 1982, you will
notice very few of them. As far as a car with "upgrades", you'll find
that a lot of DeLoreans are on their second (or third or fourth) owner
and many of the things like front end recalls, metal header bottle,
relay updates, window motors, etc have already been completed. If you
limit yourself to one model year (or hood style, or radio antenna
style, etc) you'll be severely limiting your choices of cars.

Which brings up another thing. When I bought my first DeLorean, I had
looked at two or three before I bought one. I drove 600 miles each way
to look at one that was a complete dog. As I purchased mine, it was
the only one that I could find in the Phoenix metropolitan area that
was available. Many people may have only one to look at it in their
immediate area and if they aren't familiar with them, that means that
they won't know if it's good or bad. It's not like other, more common,
collector cars (Mustangs, Corvettes, etc) that there may be a handfull
in your area to compare against each other.

Email me direct if you wish more information, or call me at the
numbers below. I'd be happy to chat with you.

Regards,

James Espey
Vice President
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)