RE: [DML] Re: Radio Upgrade

I agree with this, but for those of you not willing to make the investment
or the changes I have a
solution for the front dash speakers at least.

I have found some decent 3 1/2" speakers that will fit in the dash that do
not have tweeters
in the middle. They have a nice mid sound and are much better than the
original and will
fit without modification.
The best part is that they are CHEAP!
I can sell you a set for only $29.99 including the shipping.
I will add them to my website soon, or you can contact me directly.

Just a note, I did manage to squeeze some little Rockfords in there by using
a stack of washers as
a spacer for the tweeters, but I have learned that they need to sit flush in
order to create
a seal. The dash itself becomes the speaker and the seal lets the small
cosnes create some bass
this way.

- Videobob

>From: "ryanpwright" <dmcnews_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [DML] Re: Radio Upgrade
>Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 05:34:10 -0000
>

>The stock speakers suck. There's no way around it, the sizes are
>terrible, and the backs are difficult to get to. Even if you could,
>why would you want to replace them - you can't buy a decent sounding
>4x10 to save your life.
>
>I installed 4" speakers up front. Your speakers up there are mounted
>up inside the dash, flush with the top, so as you can see modern
>speakers don't work very well due to the tweeters sticking up a bit.
>How did I fit the 4 inchers? If you look under the dash, the speakers
>are up inside what can only be described as "inverted cupholders".
>There's like a hollow channel in the dash that they mount way up into.
>
>So, to get 4" speakers, don't put them up into the hollow space. The
>"woofer" on a 4" speaker fits almost perfectly in that hole, the
>bracket to mount it doesn't. Instead, mount the bracket to the
>underside of the dash, so the woofer is sending the sound through that
>little channel and out the holes in the top of your dash. Some short
>self-tapping wood screws did the trick nicely.
>
>Another option is to eliminate the front speakers alltogether, and
>instead buy kick-panel boxes from Don Steger @
>deloreanmotorcenter.com. I believe that gets you 5.25" speakers up
>front. I'm planning to buy a set of these myself, though I'll still
>use the 4" speakers on a crossover to help fill the sound.
>
>In the back, the 4x10s aren't even worth replacing. I just left mine
>in, cut two holes in the back panel and mounted a couple of Boston
>Acoustic 6" speakers. The sound is a hundred times improved.
>
>Amps come next, not sure where I'm going to mount mine. I'd thought
>about up front, but might see if I can get something under the seat
>instead. Heat is a concern there, though. I won't do it if there is a
>possibility of damaging the seats.
>
>-Ryan

[quote trimmed by moderator]