[DML] Re: Clutch cylinders

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joshua Weader" <weader@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> 2.  Someone mentioned a while ago that bleeding an existing system
can damage
> the internal seals in the slave cylinder by forcing internal
corrosion through
> the seals.  Is this true, and if it is, how can anyone ever bleed
their system?
<SNIP>

This deals with contaminated hydraulic fluid. I.e. if you've got
original fluid in the system, or it has become contaminated by water,
dirt, etc. Once you flush the old gunk out, and replace it with
fresh, it will destroy the OLD, ORIGINAL rubber seals in the system.

I experienced this first hand with my car. The plastic clutch line
was replaced, but the master and slave cylinders were left alone. The
MC reservoir developed a BIG ASS LEAK soon after (granted it was
already resleeved and "booger welded"), as my stained carpet can
attest to. At 26K miles, the cluch was torn up. Replaced clutch, and
the new one was torn up after about 2,500 miles. I then replaced the
Master and Slave with the new clutch, and my clutch has been tight as
a drum ever since, with nice, smooth shifting, even after almost
30,000 miles have been added to it.

My philosophy, based on my personal experience, is when waking up
derelict car* for road use again, you're gonna need to literally bite
the bullet, and replace ALL of your hydraulic systems ASAP! Brake
hydraulics are a bit different. Since they are not a intensely used,
they will last a bit longer. But will eventually fail on you none the
less.

Once you've got everything brand new installed, just flush the system
every 2 years per the manual, and you'll have a reliable system that
you can forget worring about. I definetly would not consider this a
high worry item once you've done the initial work. And believe me,
it's not all that bad.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

*From what I have seen, there is a HUGH difference between a dormant,
and a derelict car. And neither have a thing to do with cosmetics.
Dormant is where someone puts the car away for the winder, and with
minimal work, it becomes just as road worthy as the last time it was
parked.

Derilect is a car that time forgot. Weather it was in "investment"
that someone bought and subsequently parked, a car that they lost
interest in, or even where someone died, and their widow just let the
car sit next to the sprinklers for 12 or so years and till this day I
still can't get the damn water stains off my driver's side mirror.

Dormant cars are already on their factory reccomended maintenance
schedules, and should need only consumable parts. Derilect cars are
quite driveable, but will have considerably more downtime, as their
unmaintained components will wear out more rapidly, as all those
missed maintenance sessions will catch up with a vengance.