[DML] And for my next trick.....

I finally broke down and put military base decals on my car so I could
use the big DIY-autoshop.

I topped off my transmission gear oil from the axle seal replacement
job  I did and I replaced the front LH wheel bearing. (Ah...the car
lift was so nice to have)

I've been told many times by different people that the "wheel bearings
are sealed. You don't need to worry about replacing them". Hogwash.
The howling noises I got when driving say otherwise.

Even sealed, the lubricant breaks down after 23 years of exposure to
heat, humidity and age. Faster if the seal ruptures when the rubber
dries out. They are very deceptive about failing too. You can't grab
the wheel and check for slop. Mine was tighter than a banjo string but
after I pressed it out of the hub, it rattled like a cheap kid's toy
made in Taiwan.

So far, I've done 3 of the 4 wheel bearings. I know, I know; I should
replace them in pairs. Well the only reason I didn't was because I was
told that they never fail!

The moral of my story is: Next time you take a pleasure drive on a
winding road, turn the radio off and listen for the "wow wow wow wow"
or growling noise. Especially if your car was a basket-case resto like
mine.

'Nuff said.

Rich A.