[DML] warning to non-mechanics (gas tank)

[DML] warning to non-mechanics (gas tank)

In disclosing one's stupidity, it is hoped that other non-mechanics working on their DeLoreans, do not follow my scenario.

When replacing the lower 2 coolant lines located behind the skid plate, the plate must be removed. After replacing the 2 hoses, the plate must be immediately reinstalled. If you don't, and decide to drive your car to make sure the hoses do not leak (as I did) you will end up having one big headache. The back of the gas tank will slide downwards, out of the car, gas will pour out of the hole caused by the tank rubbing against the roadway, the fire dept. will be called to lay down gas absorbent material, the city sweeper / washer will be called in to flush away the line of gas trailing from 2 miles away, and basically you will feel like the idiot you are. Don't even think about the 10 gallons of gas you just put into the tank, which is now bone dry.

The neighbors will love to run out and see the red fire truck with all the lights flashing, and watch with amazement at the asphalt version of a Zamboni.

Well at least I verified that the tank was spotlessly clean, prior to the incident.

Anyone have a good, cheap gas tank with the foam attached?

Anyone have a suggestion how the new one will fit in, when the old one won't come completely out?

Oh ya, and my insurance man just called, and wants to see the car, to verify the wonderful appraisal I had sent in, showing how great it's condition is.

Marv.
# 17077
marv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx