[DML] Re: emptying fuel tank

The "best" or safest way is to open the tank where the fuel pump is
and use a fluid extractor such as you can find at Griot's Garage or
Eastwood. I recomend doing this on every car once a year especially if
you are going to store the car. This way you can remove ALL the fuel,
remove any dirt, debris, water that you find and you can examine this
very important hidden area of the car. IMHO most of the fuel system
problems that occur on a Delorean BEGIN in the fuel tank. The first
time you do this it may be expensive, you might have to replace some
of these parts but once you have done it you will get by with just
removing the fuel and wiping out the tank. The bonus is that in the
Spring when you are ready to take the car out you will have FRESH fuel
in it, not old, dead, stabilized fuel. If you find that there is a lot
of dirt in the tank you should consider replacing the filter as that
junk is in there too. Do not skimp on the condition of the hoses and
boots, if they are deteriorated they MUST be replaced. You are only
going to have problems if you do not replace any questionable parts in
this area. The problems will range from fuel smells to expensive
replacement of fuel system parts. Work safely, do this outdoors with
plenty of ventilation, observe static electric precautions, use
approved containers for fuel, try not to get fuel on bare skin and do
not inhale the vapors. BTW you don't have to discard the fuel, just
put it into another vehicle. If it is dirty just filter it.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757