Re: [DML] Re: Red Oil Herring (B27 vs B28)

Re: [DML] Re: Red Oil Herring (B27 vs B28)

The PRV's external design specs changed very little but the internals,
with respect to the crank changed massively, roughly around the time of
the Z7U Renault 2458cc single turbo unit, of which I have one.
Subsequent Renault units, normally aspirated or forced unduction,
carried this same bottom end and only the pistons were changed. This
helped with the PRV's reputation as a very sturdy engine - The most
desirable still being the 24 valve 3 litre engines which were sold as an
option in the Citroen XM, Peugeot 605 and various big Renaults (eg the
Laguna and Espace) but it's very easy to confuse with the later PSA 3
litre 24v engine which is completely different and 60 degree. The PRV
was around till 1997.

The camshafts very definitely were changed due to high rate of failure
in the Volvo 260's in the late 70's

Martin