[DML] Re: Burned engine oil

You are right, that would be the next logical conclusion. It happens a
lot more often than many people realize. I see a lot of cars (not
Deloreans) with windshield washer fluid in the brake fluid. BOY, does
that make a mess. If you have ANY doubts about what was in there I
would drive the car some, buy a can of flush to put in and drive some
more, and then change the oil and the filter again. I always recomend
when you buy a used car one of the first things you do is change ALL
of the fluids. You really don't know how long the old stuff was in
there and you certainly don't know what it is. We can argue over what
viscosity you should use but if you didn't put it in you don't even
know what it is! On Deloreans especially (British cars in particular)
you HAVE to flush out the old brake fluid EVERY 2 YEARS! How old is
YOUR brake fluid? Try taking out the windshield washer tank. After 20
years it can smell really bad. Wash it out and refill with fresh. At
the very least you MUST check the levels. In particular I am refering
to the transmission. The fluid (gear oil) on the 5-speed doesn't
really ever go "bad" but it doesn't hurt to change it, since many cars
drip, after 20 years you *might* have to add some!!!!!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

BTW I would never mention the word idiot, I would use the word novice,
(sounds a lot more polite).