[DML] Yet Another Oil Thread

When in doubt, read the owner's manual. Paraphrased from the second
version manual, although I recall the specs to be similar in the
first one:

   Based on outdoor temperature when operating:
   Always above 20C (64F) - 20W50

   Between -20C and 40C (2F and 102F) - 10W20, 10W30, 10W40, 20W40.

   Below -20C (-2F) 5W20, 5W30. NOTE: This Oil Should Not be used
when temperature is continuously above 0C (32F).

I'm always surprised how many people are using 5W30 in their car,
only because that's whats used in most modern cars.

This heavy oil spec is not as unusual as you may think - Other Euro
cars of the era have similar specs. I work with older BMWs and their
recommendations are very close to this.

Many of the above weights are no longer sold.  A really nice
compromise is Mobil 1 15W50 Synthetic - a bit pricey but after
recently taking apart a 170,000 mile BMW engine that ran this stuff
I'm a believer. Comes in 5-quart jugs at WalMart.

Dave S