[DML] Re: Automatic trans leaks

I do not use Hylomar anymore. On EVERY trans I used it I had leaks. I
use the Blue Permatex sensor safe silicone. Make sure the trans is not
overfilled. If it only leaks when running it is a pressure leak. If it
does not leak when sitting the case is probably OK. Check the
connections that go to the cooler. They may be loose, a flare may be
cracked, a hose may be leaking at a crimp etc. Another source of leaks
is the shift cable. Rob Grady sells a LARGE piece of heat-shrink
tubing that you put over the whole cable to seal it. On the
transmissions that I do they do not leak except for a tiny spot under
the final drive, and that is gear oil. Check the line pressure, if it
is too high that can push fluid past seals. If the fluid level is too
low that can cause foaming and that will come out of the breather. As
you can see the proper level is important. Check the final drive too.
Not only should it be gear oil but if it is too high then you can
suspect an internal leak, the trans fluid is getting into the final
drive, and that is not good for the longevity of the gears in the
final drive. The trans fluid is thinner than the gear oil so if it is
getting in there it will leak out easily. If it is coming out of the
bell housing you might have a blown seal on the converter. Pull the
lower inspection cover and see if it is wet in there.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757