Re: [DML] Fuel Pump Care

My theory is that the fuller the tank the slower its contents heat up. It takes longer to boil 5 gallons of water than 1 gallon of water assuming the container and heat remain constant. As you said adding gasoline also cools the tank. Gasoline is usually stored underground and may be 55, 60 or 65 degrees when it enters the car tank. One of my cars has a 27 gallon gasoline tank and is 26 years old with 92,000 miles on it. It has been in our family 24 years and has never had a new fuel pump, to my knowledge. Having said that, the fuel pump will probably go out the next time I drive it.

Peter Lucas <lucas@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Why would having more gasoline in the tank make it cooler? *Adding* gas
would certainly cool things down, but that would be a transient effect.
Keeping the tank full will increase the thermal mass and reduce the
*variability* of the temperature, but it seems to me that--depending on
the change of outside temperature--it would be as likely to raise the
fuel temperature as to lower it. No?
--Pete Lucas
VIN #06703