[DML] Re: changing to synthetic oil

I don't know that I buy the congealed oil stuff, but I did
experience what I believed to be some stuck piston rings in a D that
had been sitting for over five years. My concern was getting oil
flow open to the rings and dissolving any sludge, etc. My search
turned up a product made in Germany called LM Lubro Moly Oil Sludge
Remover. I found it at a foreign auto parts store in Houston. I have
not seen it at the usual places like NAPA, etal. The parts manager
had a B28 Volvo and said he had used it in his engine and thought it
was great stuff. So I decided to try it.

This stuff is to be used before an oil change for about 200 miles
and drained hot. I did that. The oil I drained was only a 1000 miles
old and was it black. After that, no more noisy pistons and the oil
stayed clean. That was about 45,000 miles ago. That's the only time
I have used the sludge remover and it seemed to do the job.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "captain_hydrogen"
<captainhydrogen@xxxx> wrote:
> [MODERATOR'S NOTE: The debate on preferred motor oil comes up
often and this will not be one of those debates. This is not a
question about what the best motor oil is and responses of that form
will be dumped as being repetitive with the massive archive we have
on oil.]

> I will be changing to Mobil 1 Synthetic next weekend and would
like
> some opinions or factual information concerning something the guy
at
> the auto store said.  I told him that prior to buying my DeLorean,
it
> sat dormant for a few years with all fluids present.  He said that
> over time, sediment can gather in the bottom of the oil pan and
other
> places and when changing over to synthetic oil, the smaller
molecules
> of the synthetic medium can loosen the old sediment and
> cause "chunks" of congealed oil to clog the passage ways.  He
> suggested that I use a motor flush prior to changing oil and
pointed
> me to the motor flush section.  He said that anyone will work, but
> pointed to one he had experience with, "Fast Motor Flush, 5-Minute
> Engine Cleaner, by CRC (www.crcindustries.com, part #05336)".  I
> bought two cans because of the amount of oil used in the engine.
If