Re: [DML] Re: Keys

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 03:58:34PM -0000, trekkerlb wrote:

> Does 070906/28 sound like a key code - I have no idea what it should be like.

[snip]

> Luis
> 3723

I won't claim to know the answer to this question. However, just some
food for thought. Suppose, for the moment, that it *was* the keycode.
You have just posted your VIN and the code needed to cut a key to your
car to a public forum.

Am I overly paranoid? Maybe. But I run mid- to high-end servers for an
internet provider, so it's part of what I'm paid for.

(Some of you know all this, but for those who don't, a few words...)

Folks, person-to-person email is not secure, let alone posts to a mailing
list (for that matter, instant messaging is not secure. There are ways
of *making* it *more* secure, but I'm willing to bet that at least 95%
of folks not only aren't using them, they don't know about them). Anything
you post to this forum is potentially available to anyone *anywhere*;
person-to-person email requires a little more work (but perhaps not as
much as you might thing). There are viruses/trojans/spyware out there
that can install keystroke loggers, capture everything you type, and
send it anywhere on the internet. Are you sure you haven't been
infected? *How* sure?

When communicating over the internet, check what you're about to send
and ask yourself "is any if this information personal? could it
potentially be used in harmful ways?" I realize that most folks don't
have my job and simply don't know *all* the right questions to ask, or
don't think certain information is all that important. Basic rule of
thumb: if it's personal, assume it can be used against you. And, to
quote a friend of mine, "assume this phone is tapped." Is it? Likely
not. If you go around *thinking* everything is tapped, that way lies
madness. Simply assume it is, and tailor your communications
accordingly.

</soapbox>

=)

Noah
#2867 (yes, I know. it's my VIN. No need to make that particular point
in your reply. ;)  )

--
We need to fold the monkey.