[DML] Re: Ignition issue- RESOLVED (long)

[DML] Re: Ignition issue- RESOLVED (long)

Hi List!

This has been an interesting thread, and I'm pleased the moderators
have been so patient with it.  In a world where the full-service
local retailer is being destroyed by WalMart-ism, I gotta weigh in.

Tough issue--to outsource or support the DMC vendor community?  On
the one hand, this vendor community is fabulously vibrant and
innovative, even if somewhat "expensive."  On the other hand, when
you own an exotic, you're on your own to the extent that vendors come
and go, some really are on the take, and service centers are rarely
down the block.  Besides, with a little legwork you can save a buck
or two at the cash register.  Which way do you turn, discounters or
full-service vendors?

At this point I must confess that, since I live out in the boonies,
I've done considerable research into the outsourcing issue, have
bought lots of aftermarket parts with good results, and have a small
library of service manuals to boot.  (Mitchell's Bosch K-Jetronic Svc
Manual, for example.  Great procedure for ID'ing busted pulse coils.
This car's been a daily driver since '83.)  So before I stump for the
vendor community, color me guilty.

That said, IMHO, supporting a good full-service vendor is an
investment that pays and pays.  If you take a "global" view of the
life-cycle costs of your car, they save you a ton of money and return
to you tremendous value.  (Are you listening, Wal-Mart shoppers?)

For starters, your time has to be worth something-- good vendors save
you research time, sourcing time, and most important, primrose path
time.  Unless you absolutely adore prying oil filters open on
Saturday afternoon, start with a dollar amount for that.

Then you get into direct cost, the one most people think of.  You
don't buy the wrong part three times before you get the right one,
and you replace one that isn't broken a lot less often.  Also, the
vendors generally know which of the many candidate parts is the best
choice, so you maximize the productivity of the part.  Finally, cars
being fun to work on, good parts make 'em all the more fun.  Tack
those costs/values onto the list.

Now it gets a bit more nebulous.  When I first had 10693 in the early
80's, most of these pups were parked, abused, neglected, and serviced
by an awful lot of less-than-qualified people.  Most of them ran like
trash.

Fast forward to today, with a huge and growing vendor and support
community, and we have two new things.  More and more of these cars
are being driven and taken care of.  More happy drivers, more demand,
more resale value.

Second, because of the vendor and support communities, including this
list, these cars have become eminently ownable--easier to work on,
easier to get parts for, they're far more reliable, and they perform
better.  The Dream becomes accessible to more people.  So tack the
enhanced resale values into the equation, and add a pinch for the
social bennies of letting more people come to the party.  (DMCH and
DeLorean One prices were considered unthinkable a few years ago.
Stay tuned.)

Rewind to yesterday-- without this prolific vendor group, a lot of
people would be back to owning stainless steel workbenches, and a lot
more would be on the outside looking in, just like the 80s.

Finally, the toughest money factor to pin down--productivity.  A
hypothesis:  You want a driver and you can buy one of two cars, one
showroom stock, the other upgraded and custom-tailored to do exactly
what you want it to do, same money.  Which one has more value to you,
and how much?  How many vacation days will you waste on an OEM fuel
pump, how many good Stones CDs won't you listen to because you don't
like the stereo?  How many road trips will you decide not to take
because you don't have cruise control or a stainless clutch line?

In short, how much bang for the buck do you get out of your car?
It's purely a judgement call, but include a line item for that in
your outsource/vendor analysis.

(Incidentally, for you showroom types, try maintaining a concours
without an affordable warehouse full of showroom parts.  In additon,
the more drivers/mods that are out there, the fewer OEMs exist, and
your collectible D gets rarer and rarer.)

So is the bottom line really worth saving five bucks plus postage for
an oil filter?  Do you truly have the time to reverse-engineer your
car, your computer, your vintage tube-powered guitar amp, your boat,
all the cool gizmos built into your house, and the burgeoning
population of all your other time-consuming hobbies, not to mention
all that indispensable stuff crying out for you on E-Bay?  Would life
truly be better with Rolled-Back prices and no specialized vendors?

Personally I cover my six and keep my eyes out for new sources, and I
love knowing how all my gadgets work so I can creatively misuse them,
but I faithfully go the vendor route.  I spend less money and realize
more value overall, and most crucially in the grand scheme of the
meaning of life, I maximize my time and money for the greatest number
of toys.  (People fit in there too, somewhere.)

You can't get that at WalMart.

And what, by the way, is the value of a forum where you can post a
question about an oil filter, unravel the mysteries of modern
Galbraithian market economics, and discover the true meaning of life?

--Ray
10693 and Counting.

-- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Soma576@xxxx wrote:

> The Delorean venders do. If there was something
> better for the car they would know it, and supply it. It is in their
> collective interest to supply us, the customers, with the best parts
> they can. The same cannot be said about the 17 year old behind the
> counter at Autozone.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757
> >>>>>>>>>>

> My thoughts exactly. if that Fram filter were as good as the
Purflux, they would be selling it.  My cost of goods on a PH7328 Fram
filter is less than $1.40 a pop (where i work).  I wonder how much
the vendors pay for a Purflux?  Seeing as the Purflux filter from PJ
Grady costs the consumer $12.73, i'm sure Rob would rather sell the
Fram filter at a lower COGS and give us some of the savings....... IF
that filter were good enough.  since not a single vendor sells it,
that should tell you something. it is either inferior or just plain
isn't right.