Re: [DML] Headlight Switch Reproductions

Re: [DML] Headlight Switch Reproductions

Melting of the headlight switch isn't caused by installing more
powerful headlights. Infact, the headlights are already on their own
relays, for both low, and high beams. The problem has to do with the
clearance lights. 10 seperate clearance & marker lights are powered
thru that switch alone. Probably even more for those of us whom have
modified our dash lights, as we removed a relay.

The problem lies within the switch itself. It's only meant to carry
the bare minimun load. Increase that load by way of resistance with
dirty connections, and it's only a matter of time before the switch
melts.

I run 65W halogens, with 55W high beams, and have never had a problem
with the fuse box, or relays. My switch was destroyed when a side
marker light corroded, and the rust formed a bridge that bypassed the
bulb, and grounded the wire directly. The lense cracked, and let water
in, and the plastic conduit wouldn't let the water drain out.

It's good that Houston is working to recreate the headlight switches.
But it would have been even better to know about this happening. I
never even knew that any sort of plans were in the works. Was this in
a newsletter of some sort?

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"