Re: [DML] Door Locks Locking Up?

Boy Todd, you're keeping me busy today!

The statement you made below is totally incorrect.  The procedure you describe is only to assist in the complicated "sync" portion of the front and back locks.  Since the back lock is more than enough to keep the door shut, DMC Joe used to always recommend just tossing the front lock rod.  While I'm not certain I would do it this way, it certainly makes the adjustment much easier by taking out half of the equation.

This procedure does *not* eliminate the need for a rework of the lock module.  The lock module acts up because weak relays throw current heavy solenoids, and eventually "weld" themselves in the open or closed position.  The fix is to either buy the Lockzilla (if your solenoids are still good) or take the load out of the system by some means such as DPNW's actuator kit (that's what my car is currently sporting).

Before making repair recommendations to owners, I would highly recommend you spend some time studying the manuals and attending some technical gatherings.  There are plenty of groups on the east coast, and you have PJ Grady with you in New York.  Get involved with the group and you'll learn a lot!  --But don't go explaining a procedure you don't understand, 'cause that just makes it confusing...

Jake Kamphoefner
1063 -->with both all four locks working perfectly! ;-)

Todd Nelson <tan5732@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Robert,

Sounds like you have the problem fixed. However I have heard of issues
revolving around the fact that the car has two striker posts and therefore
LATCHES twice and LOCKS twice, the issue is that either one of the locking
arms will get out of sync and fail to lock/unlock. A solution that I have
seen is to disable the LOCKING portion of the system on one of the striker
posts, this prevents the whole system from getting out of sync and failing
to lock/unlock. Keep in mind you are only disabling the locking portion on
ONE post, both posts will still latch closed for safety but only one will
lock. This is a simple fix and allows you to keep using the original system
instead of buying an expensive ZILLA system. That is unless you have
damaged your solenoids beyond repair by allowing them to receive constant
power.

Todd