RE: [DML] Sloppy doors; Was: Door Locks Locking Up?

RE: [DML] Sloppy doors; Was: Door Locks Locking Up?

I know this was addressed to David, but let me toss in a few cents.
My door light used to do the same thing, I would make a hard right and my
dome light would come on. I ended up using a small peice of rubber hose to
extend the length of the arm a bit.
Make sure the little screw that holds it in place is tight.

The rattle could be flat door seals.
..most likely.
You have just that little bit of slack that lets them vibrate.
However, this is where I ran into my problems.
Remember Dave mentioned the first and second latch?
You are most likely only hitting the first catch, and if anything the pins
should come OUT and not in.
Does this make sense?
This was the same assumtion and mistake I made by trying to push the pins
inward, thinking that the door would close tighter, well the door did close
tighter but only in the first latching position and that is why the door
locks would not operate.
By adjusting the pins outward, more of the pin is caught inside the latch
letting it close completely.

I hope this makes sense, and I am sure David's reply will explain it better
than mine!
- VB

>From: "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [DML] Sloppy doors;   Was: Door Locks Locking Up?
>Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:26:39 -0000
>

>Dave T,
>
>I have noticed that my doors, (driver's especially) "shake" when I
>drive over bumps. I even noticed my "door ajar" light briefly come on
>when taking a hard, right curve. The door is completely latched and
>lines up perfectly with the rest of the body when shut. The door
>latches as you described below. It should, you adjusted it for me at
>the Spring Social. ;-)
>
>Is this a case of flat seals, or should the striker pins be moved in-
>ward just a bit?
>
>Thanks,
>Rich A.

[moderator snip]