[DML] Re: Frame Replacement-Anyone Up For Saving A DeLorean?

[DML] Re: Frame Replacement-Anyone Up For Saving A DeLorean?

If I didn't live so far and didn't have college- I would help you.
This procedure can be difficult and time consuming if you're doing
this for the first time-but if you have others who've done this before
to help then you will be in good shape. It will take some time, and
you will need usual tools
(socket sets, open end wrenches, etc) as well as floor jacks for
actually lifting the body off, cement blocks for holding the body up
while the frame is out, and engine removal hoists or etc. I can remove
my frame myself in just about 2 hours, so if you have a few people
helping you it should be a breeze. Once the frame is out of course
take a glance over all your lines-fuel, brake, and coolant. Of course
if they look leaky or look badly rusted (bend them by hand to see if
they are week in the rusted areas) then replace them. Stainless
braided clutch line is a great thing to install at this point if you
don't have one. Nonetheless, if you can get a few people who can bring
the necessary tools, then this should be no problem. I've taken my
frame out numerious times and had to even do a graft of the front
section of my frame so if you have any specific questions or just want
further help-feel free to contact me off list I'd be happy to assist.
Dani B-5003

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi gang,
>   After replacing the slave cylinder last week with a big assist
from Dave Sontos I decided to buy a frame listed on eBay in the hopes
of saving my rusted car.  The problem lies in the fact that I do not
have the technical capabilities or the tools to do this so I thought
I'd consult with the group here to see if the possibility exists of
assembling a team to try and accomplish this.  There are many small
issues to work out but if this can be done I would be happy to have
folks stay with my here in Newport News, Va. for however many weekends
would be needed or pay for accommodations at our area hotels.  This is
a big project to undertake and I honestly don't know if it can be
pulled off but I felt I should at least try.  All kinds of things
would probably need to be replaced when disassembling the vehicle
(brake lines, coolant lines, etc.) so anyone with any suggestions on
things to look for or replace I would appreciate it.  As Dave Sontos
can attest to the frame is pretty much shot but the car runs strong
and the interior and exterior are in fairly nice shape which makes me
feel like this is worth a shot.  So tell me honestly guys am I
dreaming or can this actually be done?  Any and all input is
appreciated as I've already learned so much from this list it's
unbelievable.