[DML] Re: Clutch replacement procecure

First & foremost -- unlike a domestic transmission, the bellhousing
bolts do NOT hold it in alignment. There's a surprising amount of play
within their holes (from the factory). If you try to use the bolts to
remate the transmission, you will NOT come at the engine at a proper
angle. Input shaft splines will be too low, and will bind in the
clutch disc. This is the voice of experience talking. The splines are
so small that you'll bend and deform them without even feeling it. Is
*VERY* different from a 10 spline American transmission.

I recommend jacking the car up level (all 4 wheels off the ground).
Transmission MUST be mated ALL THE WAY to the block by hand only. Is
too hard to do that at an angle.

I repeat: do not install the mounting bolts until bellhousing is flush
with the engine.

BTW: transmission is held in alignment by two roll pins just outside
the top mounting bolts. Make sure they're in place...

You'll probably end up removing the exhaust crossover pipe during this
procedure. Do yourself a favor when reinstalling it and use stainless
nuts! Will then be very easy to remove it in the future to change
ignition cap & rotor, vacuum lines, heater core shutoff valve, etc
(everything that DeLo owners complain about "being hidden" is easily
accessed from below).

I'd recommend replacing the slave cylinder while you're under there.
My fittings were frozen together. Rather than damage the hard steel
line, I removed the cylinder with it still attached. Spun the new
cylinder onto it on the workbench and reinstalled as a unit. Bleeding
the clutch hydraulics is still easier from above (due to angle of the
bleeder screw).

Here's a thought: replacing the gear oil is super easy while the
transmission is on the ground. Simply pull the bellhousing off, tip it
up to drain it, then refill straight from the gallon jug. Note: unlike
an American unit, the bellhousing *IS* the front of the transmission.
Do not pull it off level or you'll end up with gear oil all over the
driveway (voice of experience talking).

The flywheel bolts are not symmetrical. Scrib a orientation mark on it
before removing to avoid playing "guess the bolt pattern" during
reinstallation.

Have you replaced your trailing arm bolts yet? Perfect time to do so
would be while the transmission is out of the car.

As you're ordering parts, get:
- New bushings for the shift lever
- Rear main oil seal *AND* a gasket for the plate that holds it

Oh -- almost forgot the 8mm Bolt From Hell! You'll recognize it when
you reach up and feel it (can't see it...). It's one of the upper ones
that holds the triangular shift cable bracket to the transmission. Can
*NOT* be approached directly with a socket extension. After screwing
around blind with a universal, discovered the obvious solution: Shift
cable is held by two brackets with horseshoe shaped openings for the
cable. Unfortunately the cable is too big to fit through those
openings. Since they're opposed to one another, the openings can be
enlarged and the cable will still be held 360 degrees. Allows you to
attach the triangular bracket while the transmission is still on the
ground. After it's back in the car, simply slip the shift cable
through the enlarged opening and secure from below with the other
bracket. Too easy.

Replacing a DeLo clutch is certainly within the realm of most owners,
but differs significantly from an American clutch. Thus you'll have to
ignore advice from GM and Ford (and Chrysler) owners in lieu of the
List. Following domestic procedures *WILL* get you into trouble. This
is the voice of experience talking...

Bill Robertson