[DML] Re: Clutch replacement procedure

Ryan,

Hopefully you either already owned or recently purchased Delorean
manuals from PJ Grady with your clutch kit.  If you do not have a
workshop manual or at least the technical information manual with
the parts manual, the first suggestion is to buy a set.

http://www.pjgrady.com/lgspec.asp?id=12

Next, read up on manual transmission related work on the DMC News
website, under the Technical Information section.  Although there
is no clutch replacement document, the document on the removal of
the manual transmission from the car is a good start.

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/manualtrans.htm

The next piece of advice is to have a second person there to help
whether you do this work on a lift or while on jack stands.

It is also a good idea to plan to change other items in the clutch
system such as the clutch slave while the transmission is out.  It
is a good habit to change the clutch master and the clutch slave
at the same time, since one new unit is likely to cause the other
older unit to leak within the first 1,000 miles after the work.
Make sure you have a stainless steel braided clutch line installed
on your existing clutch system.  If you still have the original
black plastic clutch line, now is the time to replace it.

I highly recommend that you try to perform this work with another
Delorean person who has done a clutch job before.  Plan to remove
and resurface the flywheel if it has any hint of grooves in the
surface.  Many NAPA stores have this service in-house.

Do not under-estimate the time it will take to do this job.  If all
goes well, you may be able to finish in one day at a leasurely pace.

Later,
Rich W.