[DML] Re: Water pump replacement

For some reason there's a popular misconception in the DeLo community
that PRV water pumps are obscure or rare. Nothing could be further
from the truth (Douvrin *DID* manufacture nearly 1,000,000 engines!).
I've purchased 3 NIB off eBay, all from different manufacturers (plus
3 on my various engines -- total of 6). Slight variations in
reinforcing ribs cast into the housings, and some have additional
sensor ports around the thermostat neck, but they otherwise share:
- Same overall dimensions
- Same three mounting holes
- Same shaft (pulley or flange just presses on)
- Same thermostat housing mating surface
- Same location for a thermal time switch, though it may not be
drilled & tapped
- Same return barbs
- Same back mating surface

NOTE: There are some pumps that have the takeoff barb on the other
side of the back (what I call "right handed", because the barb is on
the right). These will NOT mate to our internal water distribution
pipes. Impeller groove is 180 degrees opposite as well, so you can't
simply swap the backs either.

Otherwise, any PRV water pump should work on a DeLo.

Bolt on Volvo pulleys are the same diameter as pressed on DeLo
pulleys, with the rear belt located the same distance from the pump
(are double belted). Darryl Tinnerstet's pulley uses the same
dimensions, but omits the front belt. Remember that you need a flange
pressed onto the shaft for such pulleys to bolt to.

Another popular misconception in the DeLo community is purpose of the
metal heater core return pipe under the intake manifold: is only there
to locate a barb conveniently for assembly line vehicle production. Is
not there for "heat protection" (a rubber hose connects it to the
pump!). Is not there for "protection from sharp edges" (are none).
Most Volvo owners just throw it away in lieu of contiguous hose. Note
that the pipe does serve to adapt 5/8" heater core return line to 3/4"
barb on the pump back -- in it's place you will need an adapter
commonly available at any parts house or plumbing supplier.

Bill Robertson