RE: [DML] Re: SIDE STRIPES

I don't want to reveal any sources, but they are NOT made by 3M.
However, consider the technolgy changes that have happened with these
compounds over the last 20+ years. These stripes are very THICK, they are
not thin sheets of vinyl that are used on signs. Again, I can't tell you too
much about them in order to protect my source but they are made for outdoor
use, and made to take a beating.
I haven't had the chance to get all the information about them as far as UV
protection,
but considering the original application I would not think that would be a
problem.

Time will tell, and they are cheap enough to replace every 10, 20 years if
need be.
Although I doubt that will be the case.
The cars I have seen that have a good looking set of preserved stripes have
been garage kept.
The ones that are faded and ashey have been outside and in the sun and snow.
The bottom line is, if you leave your car out in the Arizona sun then every
part of it is going to deteriate....the louvers, the bumpers, the rub
strips, the interior....all of it.
Nothing is SUN PROOF.

- VB

>From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [DML] Re: SIDE STRIPES
>Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:11:04 -0000
>
>Bob,
>      The stripes look great and appear to have the original graining
>in them.  That should make the purists happy...:)  I have a question
>for you though: Are they made from 3M Scotch-Cal as the originals
>were?  I ask because of this-3M Scotch-Cal is UV resistant.  Is the
>new material you are using also UV resistant and to what degree?  It
>has been my experience (especially here in the desert) that materials
>such as the side stripes are prone to failure from the intense
>sunlight/UV radiation.  UV radiation failure would cause the stripes
>to bubble and peel off of the car.  Have you done any testing with the
>new material or can we be assured that it is of equal or better
>quality than the 20+ year old original 3M material still stuck to the
>sides of our cars?
>
>Matthew
>VIN 16816

[moderator snipped long quote]