[DML] Re: Update on my sputter

PRV was not designed for the North American market (Volvo didn't start
importing until 1976). As such, you always have to compare the F
series squeezed through US government mandates versus A and E series
used elsewhere in the world (or Renault and Peugot European aps).

My contention is F series operates at the lean end of operable fuel/air
ratios (.5-1% CO versus 1.5-2%). Idles 150-250 RPM slower, which is
close to the threshhold of stalling. CPR reaches max counter pressure
approximately 75 degrees (farenheit) before European models (engine
not fully warmed up). Base ignition time is 3 degrees further from
TDC, with corresponding flatter advance curve from missing counter
weight in the distributor. You get the idea.

Experimenting with engine tuning and component swaps generates a LOT
of controversy in the DeLorean community. I don't understand the
objections. After all, the people objecting don't have their names on
the titles of the cars in question!

Simply monitor your plugs. Their condition will indicate what's going
on inside your combustion chambers. A too rich fuel mixture will show
up as *DRY* black deposits. Note that the same condition can show up
in an engine that isn't driven long enough to fully warm up, or not
enough RPM's to completely burn the mixture, in which case a "hotter"
plug with longer insulator may help. Over retarded ignition time can
also produce soot deposits.

Bill Robertson