[DML] Re: Cooling System Care

Engines can vary greatly between manufacturer, or even casting, and
assembly batches. Some motors like GM's can be sensetive to non-
Dexcool compatable coolants. However, the DeLorean will run just fine
with a good premium coolant, and no additives.

Now, a word about tap water. Some people find that tap water works ok
in their cars. And in some cases, that is true. It just depends upon
the mineral content in your water supply. Now, the big question
is, "How hard is the water in my area?" The easiest way to fine out,
is to head to your local hardware store. Go down the plumbing isle,
and ask them about the life span of water heaters in your area. If
there is a problem with heavy minerals in your area, home water
heaters are the first to go.

In any case, tap water is the absolute best way to go. If you have
relativly soft water in your area, then using the garden hose to
flush out the system is just fine. Although,I myself would then take
the extra step of draining the block, and trying to blow out the
lines.

In any case, do NOT use tap water to fill the system! Distilled water
is damn cheap, at about 60¢ or so a gallon. So if you think $4 was
cheap insurance for your one engine, think again about this price as
well. Using tap water will affect your radiator, engine block, water
pump, heater core, and all seals and pipes by allowing mineral scale,
accellerating corrosion, and scum to build up throught the system.

Aside from the normal warnings of clean up any spilled coolant, and
dispose of in a sanitary sewer, etc... I'll give you some advice that
I had to discover on my own, the hard way. Don't use the Orange
Prestone Extended life coolant in any of your vehicles, if you can
help it. Why? It's colored orange. And when trying to examine your
cooling system for rust, that orange color masks evidence of
corrosion all too well (maybe that's why car mfgs love this stuff
now). Instead, either use the traditional green, or Prestone now
makes a coolant that is yellow colored, and is compatable with both
green, and orange Dexcool coolants, and has the same 5 year/150K mile
protection. Most importantly, no matter what the procedure or system,
follow your maintenance schedule on ALL cars that you own.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rod Dillman <rhdillman@xxxx> wrote:
> When flushing a cooling system should the new coolant be mixed with
tap water or distilled water or does it really matter? Several years
ago I had a head gasket failure on an aluminium block Cadillac engine
and the service manager told me  that if I had added GM Cooling
System Seal Tabs(Part No. 3634621-a $4 part) with an engine flush
every 3 or 4 years it would likely have eliminated a $1500 head
gasket repair. Since the DeLorean engine block is aluminium should a
similiar additive be used in it?  Your thoughts will be appreciated.