RE: [DML] Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

RE: [DML] Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

Dave,

I saw this post and I had to add my 2 cents worth.  I agree that a trickle charger left on all the time is not a good idea because of the possibility of overcharging.  A float charger may work depending if it is indeed a float charger.  A battery will lose a charge very slowly because of its internal resistance that constantly causes current to be drained.  I respectfully disagree with the antifreeze electrolyte hypothesis.  First of all, electrolytic corrosion is basically a DC issue not an AC issue.  It is action/reaction of anode to cathode in a conductive medium.  There is no significant difference between a battery charger and an alternator when it comes to charging a battery.  The battery charger uses a rectifier circuit to convert AC to DC while the alternator (a 3 phase AC device) uses a rectifier bridge to convert AC to DC.  Neither produces a clean DC but relies on the Battery for filtering.  Antifreeze is designed to be a corrosion inhibitor with the use of proprietary
compounds.  If the antifreeze is contaminated with substances that make it acidic it will cause electrolytic corrosion with either a battery charger or the alternator.  The best way to prevent this is change the antifreeze in accordance with the antifreeze manufacturers recommendation.  If you really want to make sure you are not introducing contaminants use distilled water.  The best way to keep your battery charged is to drive it.

Ron