[DML] Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

[DML] Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

I have done about the same # of shift computers as you and I also have
found that "usually" it is the caps and Yes, the caps won't fail from
jumping the car. The transistors "could". I have seen 2 units with bad
transistors. There is no way to say how they failed. All I can say is
that it is possible, especailly if the cables were hooked up in
reverse and the ignition key was left in the "on" position. This can
also be deadly to the voltage regualter in the alternator and I
suspect it to be the cause of most of the failures there. Since most
Deloreans are not used regularly the batteries in them are probably
chronically undercharged. This causes all kinds of extra stresses on
the electrical systems and components. Higher amperage draws because
of the lower voltages. It also causes the need for the car to be
jump-started more often than a regularly used car. This increases the
chance it might be done incorrectly. It also causes spikes and surges
to go through the system because of the near-dead battery and the
different voltages of the dead car and the charging car. I don't know
how the tale of jumping the Delorean and killing the shift computer
got started but in general jumping a car is a risky procedure for the
dead car and the jumper car, especailly with all the electronics in
the newer cars. I still say it is better not to jump the car but to
recharge or replace the battery. At least use a battery pack so the
voltages are at least close to 12 volts and there is no risk to the
jumper car.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757