[DML] Re: Refinishing the Binnacle

After reviewing all the suggestions and possabilities I went to a
wholesaler of body shop supplies and asked his opinion. He came up
with something interesting. He sold me a kit of materiels that the
body shops use to repair the elastermeric (flexible rubber) bumpers.
It is basically 2 tubes of epoxy that you mix in equal parts and
spread on and build up like body filler. Unlike body filler it will
remain flexible. I tried it and although it will not ever be exactly
like the origional with the textured surface it came out really nice.
I sprayed it with vinyl dye and if you don't look very close at it you
could not tell that it was all cracked up and faded. I am redying ALL
the vinyl surfaces in the car so everything will match up. It is
coming out very nice. The only drawback is that any stiching will also
become the color of the dye too. The kit cost $35, the sandpaper 180 #
and 240 # and the vinyl dye (2 cans about $5 each). A whole lot less
than $400 for Just Dashes! Cheaper than most shops get to recover in
vinyl or leather too. Best of all I don't have the seam on the bottom
which they all would have to do. I still have to reglue the black
plastic insert back in but I am pleased with the result. The big
unknown is how it will last and if other cracks will appear.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757