[DML] Mysteries of the CO Adjusting Screw Unravelled

[DML] Mysteries of the CO Adjusting Screw Unravelled

I am now the proud owner of a totally disassembled fuel/air mixture
unit. If history is any guide, the poor thing will never get
reassembled...

First & foremost: unless someone has disassembled Jeff's fuel/air
mixture unit, I can guarantee his CO adjusting screw is still in
there. May be stripped, but it is physically impossible to remove
without taking the teeter totter apart.

Calling it a "screw" is something of a misnomer. It's a brass fitting.
Does have threads (extremely fine 8mm -- much finer than 8x1mm), but
that's where the similarity ends. Has a big washer head that grabs a
piece of spring steel (this is what you tug on when adjusting). Teeter
totter itself is 2 pieces -- one pushes up on the metering piston, the
other holds the air sensor plate. Spring steel and CO screw form the
junction (plus the pivot shaft, which passes through everything,
including the housing).

The reason Martin can't remove them is because in one direction the
big washer head runs into the air sensor portion of the teeter totter,
in the other it bottoms out on the metering piston portion. Once you
separate the two it can be removed with your fingers.

I'll try to get someone with a digital camera to document my labors
tomorrow. Otherwise I'll shoot it 35mm and get the pics converted to
disc this weekend.

*NOW* you know why I prefer carburetors...

Bill Robertson