[DML] More ignition analysis

This post is for Phil P. who says he's following my ignition
thread. :)

Recap: My car stutters as if from mis-firing (especially when pulling
away from a dead-stop). All ignition components (plugs, wires, cap,
rotor, ballast resistor, coil, ignition ECU) have been replaced
without effect. Timing advance, both vacuum and centrifugal have been
checked to perform correctly. Timing is set correctly, and was tested
plus & minus the normal 13 degrees. The ballast resistance is
correct, the coil resistances (both primary and secondary windings)
are correct, the input voltage to the coil is correct. The coil is
Bosch. Putting the old OEM coil back in doesn't correct the problem.
All connections have been cleaned with contact cleaner and di-
electric grease has been applied. Grounds have been checked and new
stainless hardware has been applied.

After speaking to several people, taking several readings and
replacing several parts, I will now focus my tests on the pulse coil
(in the distributor):

The pulse coil generates a voltage as it spins, the faster it spins,
the higher the voltage (DeLorean tech manual). Simply put, the ECU
reads the pulses and converts this signal to a control signal which
drives the coil. The car runs somewhat better when cold, especially
in the morning. If the pulse coil is outputting a poor, weak, signal
(such as while turning slowly at idle) the ECU may output an
incorrect control signal to the coil. Garbage in=garbage out. The
pulse coil resistance should be 500 to 700-ish ohms. I will get the
engine good and hot, and if the resistance is substantially higher or
lower than this, I'll replace the pulse coil. I will also read the
output voltage from the pulse coil when cranking the engine. I have
to check what it should be.

Other owners have written me who are also having this problem. None
of us have really checked the pulse coil so we'll see what happens.

Rich A.