[DML] Re: Gaining HP/Losing Torque

The big theory is that smaller exhaust pipes cause the gas to move
more quickly, and thus at lower pressure. This will reduce the chance
of any getting sucked back into the cylinder during the brief time
that intake and exhaust valves overlap.

There's also supposed to be a "scavenging" effect of the *VERY* brief
period before the piston starts moving back down, in which momentum of
the exiting exhaust gas is actually creating a vacuum and pulling
itself out of the cylinder.

In actual practice, smaller pipes invariably create an exhaust
bottleneck. Gasses actually move SLOWER than they would through larger
diameter pipes, totally negating any pressure drop. Plus the engine
has to work harder simply to shove its own exhaust out!

I've never heard of scavenging through a standard cast manifold.
Header manufacturers tout it, but I've also read that you really need
6 feet or so of custom length pipe for each cylinder for it to make
any noticeable difference (more space than is available even on
longitudinally mounted engines).

Some of the confusion arises over casual use of "backpressure" when
people really mean "delta pressure" (drop in pressure between two
points). "Backpressure" means "resistance to air flow" -- never good.

Small car enthusiasts promote supposed "benefits" of backpressure, but
I think they're sour grapes from vehicle size limitations (simply can
not fit a dual 3" or 4" exhaust system under a Honda) and government
emissions mandates.

Bill Robertson