[DML] Re: Radio Wiring

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:46:18 -0400, Dom Diaz wrote:

> I'm installing a new radio in my D and have come across the
> following (thanks to Dan P. for helping me out so far):
>
> I do not see a dimmer wire on the schematics for the car

>From experience I can tell you the Craig has NO dim-control wire.
If you've bought a modern radio with dimmer-wire, all you need
is a +12V source with the lights on to connect to your radio.
This dimms the lighting of your radio by a preset amount for
night time driving, so the lighting is less dazzling...

A convenient source for this signal is available under the
shifter-plate, either at the Dimmer or on the round plug
for the clock. It's a red wire with orange stripe,
the dimmer should have a couple of them...

If you're installing a modern high-power system I'd also recommend
installing a separate continous power-feed fused at the battery at
10 or 15 Amp. The original ignition-wire (lightgreen w/ white stripe)
can still be used for the new system as on modern radio's this is
only used as a signal wire, so close to no current is drawn on it.

Also remember to give your speakers separate ground-wires, so to
not interfere with the floating ground commonly used these days.

Good luck.

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000