Re: [DML] Turbo question

You MUST let the turbo cool down before you shut your motor off.
Fortunately for our cars, the turbos do not spool that much and usually
take a little more pressure to spool then more modern turbo equipped
cars.  I have a single turbo Delorean that I normally do not let run
before turning off, but that is also after driving easy before I park
the car.  At only 7 lbs of boost and a full spool at over 4k rpm, there
is not much need to worry about cooling the turbo unless you run the
car hard then turn it off.  With the ball-bearing style turbos that
spool much sooner, you have to be more conscious about letting the
turbo cool before turning it off.

Another place to get oil feed for the turbo is from the oil filter
housing.  I run this setup on another turbo car that I own and it
supplies a clean source of oil with good pressure.  Adding a filter in
the oil line is ok if you have adequate pressure to the turbo and also
making sure the filter stays clean.  I have seen many turbos get
destroyed because of clogged inline filter systems.

-Glenn