From: " Toscano" <toscano2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "dmcnews" <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 6:21 PM
Subject: [DML] What would YOU pay?

> Getting right to the point...I am not some "lurker," I am a former owner
who has been on the list for years and understand most aspects of owning a
D. Recently on a drive in upstate NY I found an excellent candidate for my
next princess, and I am just seeking opinions on value. I am an electrical
guy but know next to nothing about engines...and therein lies the catch.
> Car is an 81, VIN 2XXX, second owner, automatic, shows 3500 miles but
owner says it's more like 9K, body and interior 100% pristine, was at PJ
Grady in 2000 for updated window motors, Motorola alternator, fuel system
going-thru, and other necessary stuff. Owner says car ran and drove fine up
until about two years ago when it developed an unknown engine problem. He
believes a piston is "stuck" and just needs to be popped out of place with a
whack from a 2x4, and then he surmises the whole engine would need a good
going-over, possibly including resleeving the problem cylinder.
> Now, engine repairs to me give thoughts of high repair bills and lots of
frustration, but the asking price of $5000 makes me think I'd be a fool to
pass it up. Thoughts? Opinions? FWIW I did also speak to a neighbor (the
owner does not know I did this), who said the car was running and driving
fine until it was parked, which he was sure was "after 9/11 occurred" and he
does not remember it being towed there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews