[DML] Re: Tempremental starting Problem

If you are holding "Rest Pressure" then the problem is not the
accumulater. I would suspect vacuum leaks and things way out of
adjustment. I would also suggest dirty electrical connections by the
ballast resistor and possibly a pick-up coil going bad in the
distributer.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade@xxxx> wrote:
> Alistair,
> I tried sending this to you directly but it was rejected for some
reason.

> I have a similar problem.  When the engine and the air temperatures
are hot,
> I get the typical hot start symptoms.  I know my accumulator works
because I
> had it at a major vendor's shop and personally saw the fuel system
keep
> pressure for
> over 4 hours.  This means (as I understand it) the accumulator
works.

> It doesn't even have to be 5 minutes for me.  If I stall the car
(I'm use to
> automatics but my D is a manual) the symptoms typically appear
immediately
> on hot days.  On cool days it may or may not surface.
>
> I have found if I hold the gas peddle to the floor under these
conditions my
> car will start up fine.  Specifically, I attempt to start it
normally.  If
> it
> doesn't start like usual (5 seconds or so) or I get a flooded gas
smell, I
> turn the ignition off, hold the gas peddle to the floor, turn the
key and it
> usually starts right up (guess it goes without saying to release
the peddle
> when it starts).  I may have to crank it a few extra seconds.  I
don't pump
> the accelerator.  Try this and see if it works for you.
>
> I also recommend you clean the contacts and connectors on the
ballast
> resistor in the engine compartment.  Not sure that will make a
difference
> but it did once for me.
>
> I've talked to several major players over the past 2 years with
> respect to this and all are scratching their heads.  Replaced fuel
> accumulator and fuel distributor with no luck.
>
> So holding the gas peddle to the floor works for me.  That's my
story and
> I'm sticking to it.
>
> BTW, I feel this is some type of vapor lock.  Not sure if it is but
my dad's
> old 69 Ford van had similar symptoms (won't start and gas smell)
and the