[DML] Re: Rebuilding a Blown Motor. (continued)

[DML] Re: Rebuilding a Blown Motor. (continued)

Eagle PRV is identical to Volvo B280 -- a MAJOR redesign of the
original B27/B28 platform:
- Even firing sequence
- 10.5:1 compression
- Different size intake ports (won't match older K Jetronic intake
manifold, though width is same). Also no K Jetronic injector ports in
the heads (uses EFI LH Jetronic)
- Cylinders are reported larger diameter. I'd read once in a Volvo
newsgroup that bore was the same as B28, but engine owners on DML
claim otherwise. If cylinders are indeed different size, you'll have
to keep B280/3.0 heads with the block
- I believe main bearings are different too

Have you done a compression test on your current engine yet? That will
at least where you're losing coolant (because it's under constant
pressure, coolant flows into the cylinders, not the other way around).
You may also be able to see rust on the electrode of the affected
spark plug. The foam in your breather cap replicates what's going on
inside your engine (pull the dip stick). That's why the main bearings
may be suffering accelerated wear.

Volvo newsgroups complain that Volvo head gaskets are much less sturdy
than Renault. I believe it's the difference between soft metal and a
composite of some sort. That being the case, you may simply have a
disintegrating head gasket. Martin Gutkowski could send you a Renault
replacement. This local (to me) mechanic also imports them:
 Norman Preser
 International Car Restoration
 754 Kirkland Circle
 Elgin, SC 29045
 (803) 438-6626

I sincerely doubt seals at the bottom of your cylinders are
compromised. But be careful when removing the affected head or they
may so become! There's a funny swooping motion you're supposed to make
when removing a PRV head to break the upper cylinder liner seals
before removing it. Simply lifting it staight off will pick them up
and break the lower seals. You've also got to be careful not to
disturb the liners while the head is off. If there's any chance you'll
be rotating or otherwise jostling the engine, buy or make brackets to
straddle the liners (attach in head bolt holes) and hold them still.

Bill Robertson