[DML] Re: Odd chatter from brakes *update*

[DML] Re: Odd chatter from brakes *update*

If the noise is deceleration noise as Dave T suggests I would also
expect it to occur when you rev the motor. When you run the motor up
to 3-4,000 RPM and let off the gas you would hear the noise.

If the noise stops when you disengage the clutch then I would look
for something in the drive line or motor mounts. I suggest applying
the parking brake and investigating the movement of the motor and
trans assembly with the car in reverse. This should simulate to some
extent deceleration in gear. With the car running, gently start to
engage the clutch first in reverse then in first gear. Repeat
several times and observe the movement of the engine. This will be
hard to observe alone and usually takes more than one person to do.

I'm focused on drive line because the deceleration valves sticking
are very rare.

Another thing occurred to me. I once had the muffler brace above the
alternator break. The broken piece was still on the muffler mount
and because of the rust, etc. on the brace, the broken piece would
move but only with some force. When I slowed the car it would move
forward and hit the alternator fan blades and cause all kinds of
racket. When I took off the noise went away. I looked right at the
broken piece several times before I realized it was broken and
discovered the source of the noise.

Harold McElraft - 3354