Re: [DML] Rebuilding a Blown Motor.

Hi Robert, I'll take a stab at a few of your
questions:

--- therealdmcvegas <dmcvegas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now, here are my questions.
> 1. Is there any reason that the Premier's
> distributor wouldn't work
> with the stock DeLo engine computer? All it should
> care about is
> reading pulses to fire the ignition coil. But, the
> pattern in which
> they are delivered has changed, along with the
> firing order.

The Eagle's distributor won't work because internally
it has no triggering mechanism (no points no magnets).
 Inside the Eagle distributor ('88,89,90)is only a
rotor that fit onto the end of the cam.  The eagle
determines when to fire by use of a crank mounted
angle sensor.

> 2. Same question as above, but as it pertains to the
> tachometer.

Same problem too.  Without the crank trigger system,
there's nothing telling the coil to fire or signal a
tach.

> 3. Would I use the DeLorean, or the Premier water
> pump for this
> application?

You'd probably want to use the Delorean's as the
Eagle's is a serpentine belt (might be possible to
change pulleys)  You'd also have to change crank
pulleys.  Switching over to the Eagle's serpentine
system might be easier, but I don't know about
clearance (pulley to muffler)

> 4. Are there any other PRV heads that are
> interchangable with this
> block, that will also accept K-Jetronic incase mine
> are damaged?

I'll need someone else more familiar with the K-jet
applications.  My understanding of the PRV's is that
the heads will fit on any PRV block, but the Heads and
Intakes have to stay together.  In other words, you
could bolt D heads to an Eagle block, but you have to
use the D intake.  You cannot however bolt the D's
intake to the Eagle heads.

> 5. Are the timing chains interchangable?

I've never heard otherwise.

> 6. Will the A/C compressor accept the serpentine
> pulley if I decided
> to utilize the Premier's serpentine drive belt?

Likely will, but never tried it.  (Anyone?)

> 7. Is there any possible reason that this wouldn't
> work?

As I mentioned above, the ignition system is probably
the biggest challenge.  It's a tricky puzzle when you
start considering the interdependencies of
heads/intakes, cams/cranks/ditributors.

> As usual, thanks in advance to everyone. If I needed
> to retain the
> odd-fire crank and cams, I have no problem doing so
> (but I don't know
> just how far the engine components are
> interchangable). And I'm trying
> to keep this job as easy, and as inexpensive as
> possible, which is why
> I would rather bolt things together, than rebuild
> them. As equally
> important as money, I need to get my car back out
> onto the road as
> soon as possible. But if possible, I'd also like to
> try and plan ahead
> to have a motor with a little punch to it, for
> possible performance
> upgrades that I'm looking at, for down the road.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> -Robert
> vin 6585 "X"

I think you'll be hard-pressed to get anyone to agree
that building this sort of hybrid is going to be your
easiest or cheapest solution.  If you're looking for
something different, it probably can be done with the
right combination of parts, but the easiest and
cheapest route would be to either locate a used D
engine or even a volvo unit.  For my conversion I used
a '91 Eagle and kept it completely intact, adding an
aftermarket computer (Electromotive TEC3) to run the
ignition and fuel.  Got the engine from a salvage yard
($200 and only 20k miles) but the computer was the
real cost, $2,200.  It was neither easy nor cheap, but
it is different, and now I have a more modern, EFI,
3.0liter, even-fire, higher compression,
electronically tunable PRV.  I'm no PRV expert, but
I'd be willing to answer any questions you may have
and I do have an '88 eagle engine on a stand in my
garage so I can check that out if you have any
specific questions, or need pictures or anything.

P.S.  The '91/92 Eagle engine is much improved over
the '88-90.  (New water pump design and ALL new style
sensors, etc.) So if you're thinking about going with
the EFI, you definitely want a '91/92 version.

Hope some of this helps,

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")