[DML] Re: Radiator replacement?

Actually, Ryan, it's not too difficult.  You will want to remove the
air shroud from around the fans and the air dam (the part that
contains the metal screen).  Be careful doing this.  Many of these
bolts are usually rusted and will snap off easily.  Use WD-40 or
liquid wrench the night before on them.  In fact, use it on all of
nuts and bolts.

You need to remove the two upper bracket mounts that are attached
from the crumple tube.  The driver side can be hard to unscrew
because it's hard to see, so just take your time.

Disconnect the other hoses, (If you haven't drained the system, now
is a good time).  Unscrew the two large bottom nuts on the radiator.
I ended up removing the lower brackets because the horns have to come
out anyway.

There are also four small screws that attach the A/C condenser to the
front of the radiator.  I removed this before I took out the radiator
and just kinda set it off to the left of the car without removing the
hoses.

You can remove the fans after you get the radiator out.  Just make
sure you unplug them beforehand.  Also, the fans are grounded on the
crumple tubes on those upright brackets.  It's a good idea to clean
that area up.

One more thing, the brass radiator is a bit thicker than the stock.
You might run into the problem of the pipes being a bit closer to the
radiator connections.  What I did was to loosen the clamps on the
hoses that are a couple feet back.  I then pushed the pipe further in
so there was more clearance at the radiator.

Just remember to take your time and when you get frustrated, just go
inside the house and forget about it for a little while to clear your
mind.  I did that SEVERAL times!

It took me 16 days to do my system, but I didn't rush it and it came
out better than I expected.

Johnny
5518