[DML] Re: Road Salt Damage

(The reason you don't see any Lincolns up there is because now they're
all sitting in my driveway).

- My DeLo came from Philadelphia PA.
- 4 of my 5 Lincolns came from KY/MD/MD/NY.
- Gave my little brother an AMC that survived *MICHIGAN* (special note
to the List: if you want a car that can truly make it up north, sell
your DeLo and buy a 1981-later AMC).

I know ALL about road salt. Live with it every day.

Only metric car I've ever worked on is the DeLo. Grade 5 fasteners
seem to survive much better than grade 8.8. May be because coarser
thread pitch is usually used. Fasteners are larger too (5/16" minumum,
3/8" and 9/16" more common -- roughly equivalent to 10mm, which just
happens to be the exhaust stud that started this thread...).

Road salt is preferrable to beach salt. Car is at least not exposed to
it year 'round, and damage is limited to wherever the wheels can sling
it. Beach salt is airborne. Gets into the tiniest nook & cranny. Will
totally eat up an electrical system, from one end to the other, even
inside the dash. I'm willing to resurrect road salt cars. I refuse to
buy a beach car.

Part of Martin's problem is that 4 foot long cheater. If a fastener
isn't going to turn with a foot or so, guarantee 4 feet will snap it
off! Before he resorts to the gorilla handle, should try more heat. If
MAPP gas doesn't do it, he'll have to move up to acetylene. People
don't like to spray down a fastener before heating it because of the
smoke. But I think all that bubbling and boiling helps to break it loose.

Bill Robertson