[DML] Re: Aircon strained

If you really meant 500 PSI that would likely create leaks where none
ever existed. That's quite a bit over any design parameter for the
system. Ken Koncelic insists that he's done this without all the
following steps, but if you try it his way there are a couple of
screws that you can't find unless you know exactly where they are.
The following is more the "normal" way.

I've r&r'd a couple of evaporators now, it's not a fun project.
---disconned the heater lines and the freon lines outside under the
car (thru the gas tank access panel in the trunk, actually)
---remove right hand knee bolster
---Above the hvac box, remove the flap assembly that's way to the
right. In there are three nuts that hold the heater box to the car
(they are just above the fan).
--remove the console
--loosen the radio cluster and pull it back away from the dash
--reach-around from the driver side and disconnect the blue cable
from the temperature knob assembly.
--remove the bracket under the HVAC box
--pull the whole assembly out of the car.
--the HVAC case splits into two parts, the Evap is in the right-hand
part. (IN (Ken's) THEORY) you can remove the right half from the car
without removing the left half, but I have not quite figured out how.
Once you have that part separated, it further splits in half to
reveal the evaporator. You can't pull the bottom off in-place because
there is one screw that is in the middle of the assembly that you
can't get to until the main box is in two parts.

Let me know if pictures would help, I have one of these in pieces on
my storage-room floor.

Dave

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Christopher Hawes" <chris@xxxx>
wrote:
> My DMC aircon system had been put under great pressure... 500psi I
> think..... seemed fine after being regassed but then nothing....
turned out